Skip to main content

Maryland Code, Business Occupations and Professions § 21-206

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a) The Board may investigate a complaint that alleges a violation of this title.

(b) On receipt of the results of an investigation made under this section, the Board shall promptly take action that is appropriate under this title to ensure compliance with this title.

(c)(1) If the Board concludes that conduct alleged to be in violation of this title will result in harm to a resident of the State, the Board may seek a permanent or temporary injunction with respect to the conduct from the circuit court of the county in which the alleged violation occurs.

(2) In seeking an injunction under this subsection, the Board is not required to:

(i) post bond;

(ii) allege or prove that an adequate remedy at law does not exist;  or

(iii) allege or prove that substantial or irreparable damage would result from the continued violation.

(3) A member of the Board may not be held personally liable for action taken under this subsection in good faith with reasonable grounds.

(d) The Board, or a hearing officer designated by the Board, may administer oaths, hold hearings, and take testimony about all matters within the jurisdiction of the Board.

(e)(1) The Board or its designee may issue a subpoena for the attendance of a witness to testify or the production of evidence in connection with:

(i) a disciplinary action brought under this title;  or

(ii) a proceeding brought for an alleged violation of this title.

(2) If an individual fails to comply with a subpoena issued under this subsection, on petition of the Board, a court of competent jurisdiction may compel compliance with the subpoena.

Cite this article: - Maryland Code, Business Occupations and Professions § 21-206 - last updated December 31, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard