Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a)(1) The Maryland Agricultural Land Preservation Foundation shall be governed and administered by a board of trustees composed of:
(i) The State Treasurer, the Comptroller, the Secretary of Planning, and the Secretary, all of whom shall serve as ex officio members;
(ii) Nine members from the State at-large to be appointed by the Governor, at least six of whom shall be farmer representatives who are engaged in or retired from active farming from different areas of the State, and four of whom shall be appointed as follows:
1. One from a list of three nominees submitted by the Maryland Agricultural Commission;
2. One from a list of three nominees submitted by the Maryland Farm Bureau;
3. One from a list of three nominees submitted by the Maryland State Grange; and
4. One from a list of three nominees submitted by the Young Farmers Advisory Board; and
(iii) Any designee appointed by an ex officio member under paragraph (3) of this subsection.
(2) Nominees under paragraph (1)(ii)4 of this subsection shall meet the requirements of § 2-1002(d) of this title.
(3) Each ex officio member of the board of trustees may appoint a designee to serve in the member's place on the board.
(4) The Governor shall appoint the chairman of the board, from among the nine at-large trustees.
(5) A majority of the members of the board serving at any one time constitutes a quorum for the transaction of business.
(6) Notwithstanding the provisions of §§ 5-502 through 5-504 of the General Provisions Article, a person may be appointed to and serve on the board as an at-large member even if prior to the appointment the person sold an easement in the person's agricultural land to the Foundation.
(b)(1) The term of any trustee at-large serving on the board shall expire on July 1, 1977. The Governor then shall appoint trustees at-large for the following terms:
(i) Three for a term of four years;
(ii) Three for a term of three years; and
(iii) Three for a term of two years.
(2) In appointing members at-large to replace members whose terms expire on July 1, 1977, the Governor may appoint members serving as of July 1, 1977. Thereafter, successors to trustees at-large whose terms expire shall be appointed for terms of four years. Vacancies shall be filled for the unexpired term. A trustee at-large may not serve more than two successive terms. Appointment to fill a vacancy may not be considered as one of two terms.
(c) Trustees at-large shall take the oath of office as prescribed by law.
(d) Compensation may not be paid to any trustee. Each trustee shall be reimbursed for travel and other expenses incurred by him in the performance of his duties on behalf of the Foundation.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Maryland Code, Agriculture § 2-503 - last updated December 31, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/md/agriculture/md-code-agric-sect-2-503/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.