A health benefit plan that includes chiropractic benefits shall:
(1) Include all primary chiropractic providers who are selected by covered persons
of the plan for the provision of all chiropractic benefits provided by the plan which
fall within the statutory scope of practice of the respective primary chiropractic
(2) Permit any licensed chiropractor who agrees to abide by the terms, conditions,
reimbursement rates, and standards of quality of the health benefit plan to serve
as a participating primary chiropractic provider to any person covered by the plan.
(3) Guarantee that all covered persons who are eligible for chiropractic benefits
under a health benefit plan shall have direct access to the primary chiropractic provider
of their choice independent of, and without referral from, any other provider or entity.
(4) Assure that those plans utilizing a gatekeeper system shall designate the primary
chiropractic provider within the scope of practice as the gatekeeper, who shall provide
basic patient care and coordinate diagnostic testing, indicated treatment, and specialty
referral for those covered persons in the provision of chiropractic benefits. Nothing in KRS 304.17A-170 or this section shall prevent a covered person from having direct access to that
person's primary care provider (gatekeeper) for treatment and being reimbursed in
accordance with the terms and fee schedule of the health benefit plan.
(5) Not discriminate between individual providers or classes of providers in the
amount of reimbursement, copayment, or other financial compensation for the same or
essentially similar services provided by the health benefit plan.
(6) Not promote or recommend any individual provider or class of providers to a covered
person by any method or means.
(7) Assure that an adequate number of primary chiropractic providers are included
as participating chiropractic providers to guarantee reasonable accessibility, timeliness
of care, convenience, and continuity of care to covered persons.
(8) Make available to covered persons a listing of all participating primary chiropractic
providers, their practice location and telephone number on a regular, timely basis.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes
A free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.