Funds not used in loans to members may be invested:
(1) In securities, obligations, or other instruments of or issued by or fully guaranteed
as to principal and interest by the United States of America or any agency thereof
or in any trust or trusts established for investing directly or collectively in the
(2) In obligations of any state of the United States, the District of Columbia, the
Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the several territories organized by Congress, or
any political subdivision thereof;
(3) In certificates of deposit or passbook-type accounts issued by a state or national
bank, mutual savings bank, or savings and loan association;
(4) (a) In loans, not to exceed twenty-five percent (25%) of capital at the lending
credit union, to; or
(b) In shares or deposits, not to exceed twenty percent (20%) of the capital of the
investing credit union, of other credit unions, central credit unions, corporate credit
unions, or a central liquidity facility established under state or federal law;
(5) In shares, stocks, loans, or other obligations of any organization, corporation,
or association, provided the membership or ownership, as the case may be, of the organization,
corporation, or association is primarily confined or restricted to credit unions,
or organizations of credit unions, and provided further the purpose for which it is
organized is to strengthen or advance the development of credit unions or credit union
(6) In shares of a cooperative society organized under the laws of this state or
of the laws of the United States in the total amount not exceeding ten percent (10%)
of the shares, deposits, and surplus of the credit union;
(7) In stocks and bonds of corporations organized in any state of the United States,
the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and the several territories
organized by Congress to an aggregate maximum of five percent (5%) of members' shares
in stocks and an aggregate maximum of five percent (5%) of members' shares in bonds,
provided that investments shall be limited to stocks or bonds which appear on a list
approved by the commissioner and published quarterly or annually, the list to include
not less than thirty (30) corporations.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes
A free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.