Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(1) Electronic prescribing of a controlled substance under this chapter shall not interfere with a patient's freedom to select a pharmacy.
(2) Electronic prescribing software used by a practitioner to prescribe a controlled substance under this chapter may include clinical messaging and messages in pop-up windows directed to the practitioner regarding a particular controlled substance that supports the practitioner's clinical decision making.
(3) Drug information contained in electronic prescribing software to prescribe a controlled substance under this chapter shall be consistent with Food and Drug Administration-approved information regarding a particular controlled substance.
(4) (a) Electronic prescribing software used by a practitioner to prescribe a controlled substance under this chapter may show information regarding a payor's formulary, copayments, or benefit plan, provided that nothing in the software is designed to preclude a practitioner from selecting any particular pharmacy or controlled substance.
(b) If electronic prescribing software does show information regarding a payor's formulary, payments, or benefit plan under paragraph (a) of this subsection, the information shall be updated at least quarterly to ensure its accuracy.
(5) Each governmental unit of the Commonwealth promulgating administrative regulations relating to electronic prescribing shall include in the regulations electronic prior authorization standards meeting the requirements of 304.17A-167 in its implementation of health information technology improvements as required by the Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement, and Modernization Act of 2003 1 and the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act 2, enacted as part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Kentucky Revised Statutes Title XVIII. Public Health § 218A.171. Electronic prescribing - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ky/title-xviii-public-health/ky-rev-st-sect-218a-171/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?