Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(1) A duly licensed manufacturer, distributor, or wholesaler may sell or distribute a legend drug to any of the following:
(a) A manufacturer, wholesaler, or distributor;
(b) A pharmacy;
(c) A practitioner;
(d) The administrator in charge of a hospital, but only for use by or in that hospital; and
(e) A person in charge of a laboratory, but only for use in that laboratory for scientific and medical research purposes.
(2) A pharmacist may sell or distribute a legend drug:
(a) Pursuant to a prescription that conforms to the requirements of this chapter; or
(b) To a person licensed to administer, dispense, distribute, or possess a legend drug.
(3) A practitioner may:
(a) Administer, dispense, or prescribe a legend drug for a legitimate medical purpose and in the course of professional practice; or
(b) Distribute a legend drug to a person licensed to administer, dispense, distribute, or possess a legend drug.
(4) Possession or control of legend drugs obtained as authorized by this section shall be lawful if it occurred in the regular course of business, occupation, profession, employment, or duty of the possessor.
(5) No person shall traffic in any legend drug except as authorized by this section.
(6) No person shall dispense, prescribe, distribute, or administer any legend drug except as authorized by this section.
(7) No person shall possess any legend drug except as authorized by this section.
(8) Unless another specific penalty is provided in KRS 217.005 to 217.215, any person who violates any provision of subsections (1) to (6) of this section shall be guilty of a Class A misdemeanor for the first offense and a Class D felony for subsequent offenses.
(9) Unless another specific penalty is provided in KRS 217.005 to 217.215, any person who violates the provision of subsection (7) of this section shall be guilty of a Class B misdemeanor.
(10) A person to whom or for whose use a legend drug has been prescribed or dispensed may lawfully possess it.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Kentucky Revised Statutes Title XVIII. Public Health § 217.182. Sale, distribution, administration, prescription, or possession of legend drugs; penalty - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ky/title-xviii-public-health/ky-rev-st-sect-217-182/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?