Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(1) As used in this section, “motor scooter” has the same meaning as in KRS 186.010.
(2) A person may operate a motor scooter on a highway if the operator has a valid motorcycle operator's license or motorcycle instructional permit in his or her possession.
(3) A motor scooter operating on a highway is considered to be a motorcycle as defined in KRS 186.010 and shall be titled in accordance with KRS Chapter 186A and registered as a motorcycle in accordance with KRS 186.050(2).
(4) A motor scooter operating on a highway, shall be insured in compliance with KRS 304.39-110 by the owner or operator, and the proof of insurance shall be in possession of the operator at all times of operation on a highway.
(5) A person operating a motor scooter on a highway shall comply with the traffic regulations of this chapter, meet the same equipment standards as those for motorcycles in this chapter, and shall be subject to the provisions of KRS Chapter 189A.
(6) A person operating a motor scooter shall be subject to the protective headgear requirements of KRS 189.285.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Kentucky Revised Statutes Title XVI. Motor Vehicles § 189.2851. Operation, titling, registration, and insuring of motor scooters; headgear requirements - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ky/title-xvi-motor-vehicles/ky-rev-st-sect-189-2851/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?