Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, a person over the age of sixteen (16) who is a United States citizen and who is not a resident of Kentucky may drive in Kentucky for a period of time not to exceed one (1) year from the date the person enters Kentucky if:
(a) The person possesses a valid license issued by the person's home state;
(b) The person has the license in his or her immediate possession at all times when operating a vehicle on the highways; and
(c) The person's home state accords similar privileges to licensed residents of Kentucky.
(2) A person who is a United States citizen but who is not a resident of Kentucky who is enrolled as a full-time or part-time student at a university, college, or technical college located in Kentucky may drive in Kentucky on a valid license issued by the person's state of domicile, and shall not be required to obtain a Kentucky operator's license under this chapter if the person has a student identification card from a university, college, or technical college located in Kentucky in his or her immediate possession at all times when driving in Kentucky.
(3) A person over the age of sixteen (16) who is not a United States citizen and who is legally visiting this country for less than one (1) year may drive in Kentucky on a valid domestic license issued by the person's country of domicile and shall not be required to obtain a Kentucky driver's license.
(4) A person over the age of sixteen (16) who is not a United States citizen, who has not been granted status as a permanent resident of the United States, but is a resident of Kentucky, shall be issued a Kentucky operator's license if the person complies with the requirements of KRS 186.4121. The cabinet may at any time refuse or discontinue the exemptions authorized in this section for any grounds and may deny, cancel, suspend, or revoke an instruction permit or operator's license issued under this chapter.
(5) A person whose operator's license or privilege to operate a motor vehicle, motorcycle, or moped in this state has been denied, withdrawn, canceled, suspended, or revoked as provided in KRS 186.400 to 186.640 shall not operate a motor vehicle, motorcycle, or moped in this state under a license, permit, or registration certificate issued by any other jurisdiction during the period of denial, withdrawal, cancellation, suspension, or revocation.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Kentucky Revised Statutes Title XVI. Motor Vehicles § 186.430. Exemption of nonresidents - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ky/title-xvi-motor-vehicles/ky-rev-st-sect-186-430/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?