Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(1) (a) There is hereby created a panel, to be known as the Kentucky Equine Drug Research Council, to advise the racing commission on the conduct of equine drug research and testing commissioned by the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission.
(b) The council shall consist of nine (9) members appointed by the Governor. It is recommended that the Governor appoint one (1) person from each of the following groups, organizations, or professions:
1. A veterinarian, selected from a list of three (3) submitted by the Kentucky Association of Equine Veterinarians;
2. A horseman, selected from a list of three (3) submitted by the Kentucky division of the Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association;
3. A pharmacologist, selected from a list of three (3) submitted by the University of Kentucky;
4. A Thoroughbred breeder, selected from a list of three (3) submitted by the Kentucky Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders, Inc.;
5. A legislator, selected from a list of three (3) submitted by the Legislative Research Commission;
6. A representative of a licensed racing association, chosen by the Governor;
7. A member of the harness racing industry, selected from a list of three (3) submitted by the chairman of the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission;
8. A member selected from a list of three (3) submitted by the Kentucky Harness Horsemen's Association; and
9. A member of the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission, selected from a list of three (3) submitted by the chairman of the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission, to serve as chairman.
(c) The council shall meet at the call of the chairman, a majority of the council, or at the request of the racing commission. Members shall serve at the pleasure of their respective sponsoring organizations and shall receive no compensation for serving.
(2) The Kentucky Equine Drug Research Council shall:
(a) Review equine drug research and testing research being conducted at the University of Kentucky, or with state funds;
(b) Review and report to the racing commission on drug research and testing research being conducted elsewhere;
(c) Advise the racing commission and make recommendations for establishing an effective drug regulatory policy for Kentucky racing; and
(d) Report to the General Assembly any needed changes regarding the regulation of drugs in horse racing in the Commonwealth of Kentucky.
(3) (a) The funds received by the racing commission pursuant to KRS 138.510 shall be used for financing:
1. Drug research;
2. Testing research;
3. Equine medical research;
4. Equine health research issues; and
5. Any regulatory or administrative activity of the racing commission that is related to the research and issues described in subparagraphs 1. to 4. of this paragraph. Any expenditure under this subsection shall relate to the racing industry in Kentucky.
(b) In authorizing expenditures, the council and the racing commission shall give funding priority to the activities described in this subsection which will take place, or are proposed to take place, in Kentucky over similar activities taking place outside Kentucky. However, expenditures under this subsection in furtherance of activities taking place outside Kentucky may be approved if the council and the racing commission determine that those expenditures will contribute to improvement in Kentucky's racing industry and to the development of a useful knowledge base relating to the subjects expressed in paragraph (a)1. to 5. of this subsection.
(c) The money received under this subsection shall be in addition to any funds appropriated to the racing commission for these purposes in the executive budget.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Kentucky Revised Statutes Title XIX. Public Safety and Morals § 230.265. Kentucky Equine Drug Research Council - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ky/title-xix-public-safety-and-morals/ky-rev-st-sect-230-265/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?