Any person subject to this code shall be punished as a court-martial may direct who,
before or in the presence of the enemy or any hostile force:
(1) Runs away;
(2) Shamefully abandons, surrenders, or delivers up any command, unit, place, or
military property which it is his or her duty to defend;
(3) Through disobedience, neglect, or intentional misconduct endangers the safety
of any such command, unit, place, or military property;
(4) Casts away his or her arms or ammunition;
(5) Is guilty of cowardly conduct;
(6) Quits his or her place of duty to plunder or pillage;
(7) Causes false alarms in any command, unit, or place under control of the Armed
Forces of the United States or the state military forces;
(8) Willfully fails to do his or her utmost to encounter, engage, capture, or destroy
any enemy troops, combatants, vessels, aircraft, or any other thing, which it is his
or her duty so to encounter, engage, capture, or destroy; or
(9) Does not afford all practicable relief and assistance to any troops, combatants,
vessels, or aircraft of the Armed Forces belonging to the United States or their allies,
to the state, or to any other state, when engaged in battle.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?
Response sent, thank you
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes
A free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.