Kansas Statutes Chapter 38. Minors § 38-109. Petition for rights of majority;  notice;  hearing;  decree

Any minor, desiring to obtain the rights of majority for the purposes named in the preceding section, may, by his or her next friend, file a petition in the district court of the county in which such minor shall reside, setting forth, first, the age of the minor petitioner, and that said petitioner is then and has been a bona fide resident of such county for at least one year next preceding the filing of the petition;  second, the cause for which petitioner seeks to obtain the rights of majority. Such petition shall be filed as in other cases and notice of the hearing on said petition shall be given by publishing such notice for three consecutive weeks in some newspaper authorized by law to publish legal notices and the time of the hearing on said petition shall be not less than thirty days after the date of the first publication of said notice.

Upon proof in open court of the truth of the allegations in such petition and that said petitioner is a person of sound mind and able to transact his or her own affairs and that the interest of the petitioner shall be promoted thereby, the court may, in its discretion, order and decree that the petitioner be empowered to exercise the rights of majority for any and all purposes mentioned in K.S.A. 38-108 , or any acts amendatory thereof or supplemental thereto;  and thereupon such order and decree shall be entered on the records of said court;  and thereafter all acts by said petitioner done and performed concerning any contract, rights in action, or interests in real or personal property, shall have the same force, validity and effect as if made by a person of full age.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard