Sec. 3 . (a) This section does not apply to the following:
(1) A container possessed by a person, other than the operator of the motor vehicle, who is in the:
(A) passenger compartment of a motor vehicle designed, maintained, or used primarily for the transportation of persons for compensation; or
(B) living quarters of a house coach or house trailer.
(2) A container located in a fixed center console or other similar fixed compartment that is locked.
(3) A container located:
(A) behind the last upright seat; or
(B) in an area not normally occupied by a person;
in a motor vehicle that is not equipped with a trunk.
(b) A person in a motor vehicle who, while the motor vehicle is in operation or while the motor vehicle is located on the right-of-way of a public highway, possesses a container:
(1) that has been opened;
(2) that has a broken seal; or
(3) from which some of the contents have been removed;
in the passenger compartment of the motor vehicle commits a Class C infraction.
(c) A violation of this section is not considered a moving traffic violation:
(1) for purposes of IC 9-14-12-3 ; and
(2) for which points are assessed by the bureau under the point system.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Indiana Code Title 9. Motor Vehicles § 9-30-15-3 - last updated June 08, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/in/title-9-motor-vehicles/in-code-sect-9-30-15-3.html
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.