Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Sec. 1. (a) This article does not apply to the following:
(1) A vehicle that is not required to be registered under IC 9-18-2 (before its expiration) or IC 9-18.1.
(2) Special machinery.
(3) A motor vehicle that was designed to have a maximum design speed of not more than twenty-five (25) miles per hour and that was built, constructed, modified, or assembled by a person other than the manufacturer.
(4) Motor driven cycles.
(5) An off-road vehicle that was purchased or otherwise acquired before January 1, 2010.
(7) A watercraft that is not required to be registered under IC 9-31-3 (before its repeal) or IC 9-18.1-14.5.
(b) Notwithstanding subsection (a), a person may apply for:
(1) a certificate of title under IC 9-17-2-2; or
(2) a special identification number under IC 9-17-4;
for a vehicle listed in subsection (a).
(c) If the bureau issues a certificate of title under subsection (b)(1), the vehicle remains subject to this article until the titleholder surrenders the title to the bureau.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Indiana Code Title 9. Motor Vehicles § 9-17-1-1 - last updated June 08, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/in/title-9-motor-vehicles/in-code-sect-9-17-1-1/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.