Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Sec. 3. (a) The commission shall develop, publicize, and keep current an analysis of the long-range needs for expansion of facilities for the generation of electricity.
(b) This analysis must include an estimate of:
(1) the probable future growth of the use of electricity;
(2) the probable needed generating reserves;
(3) in the judgment of the commission, the optimal extent, size, mix, and general location of generating plants;
(4) in the judgment of the commission, the optimal arrangements for statewide or regional pooling of power and arrangements with other utilities and energy suppliers to achieve maximum efficiencies for the benefit of the people of Indiana; and
(5) the comparative costs of meeting future growth by other means of providing reliable, efficient, and economic electric service, including purchase of power, joint ownership of facilities, refurbishment of existing facilities, conservation (including energy efficiency), load management, distributed generation, and cogeneration.
(c) The commission shall consider the analysis in acting upon any petition by any utility for construction.
(d) In developing the analysis, the commission:
(1) shall confer and consult with:
(A) the public utilities in Indiana;
(B) the utility commissions or comparable agencies of neighboring states;
(C) the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission; and
(D) other agencies having relevant information; and
(2) may participate as it considers useful in any joint boards investigating generating plant sites or the probable needs for future generating facilities.
(e) In addition to such reports as public utilities may be required by statute or rule of the commission to file with the commission, a utility:
(1) may submit to the commission a current or updated integrated resource plan as part of a utility specific proposal as to the future needs for electricity to serve the people of the state or the area served by the utility; and
(2) shall submit to the commission an integrated resource plan that assesses a variety of demand side management and supply side resources to meet future customer electricity service needs in a cost effective and reliable manner.
The commission shall adopt rules under IC 4-22-2 concerning the submission of an integrated resource plan under subdivision (2).
(f) Insofar as practicable, each utility, the utility consumer counselor, and any intervenor may attend or be represented at any formal conference conducted by the commission in developing an analysis for the future requirements of electricity for Indiana or this region.
(g) In the course of making the analysis required by subsection (a) and, if applicable, developing an analysis described in subsection (f), the commission shall conduct one (1) or more public hearings.
(h) Each year, the commission shall submit to the governor and to the appropriate committees of the general assembly a report of its analysis regarding the future requirements of electricity for Indiana or this region.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Indiana Code Title 8. Utilities and Transportation § 8-1-8.5-3 - last updated June 08, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/in/title-8-utilities-and-transportation/in-code-sect-8-1-8-5-3/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?