Skip to main content

Indiana Code Title 36. Local Government § 36-5-4-12

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

Sec. 12.  (a) The legislative body of a town may adopt an ordinance allowing money to be disbursed under this section for lawful town purposes.

(b) Notwithstanding IC 5-11-10, with the prior written approval of the board having jurisdiction over allowance of the claim, a town fiscal officer may make claim payments in advance of a board allowance for the following types of expenses if the town legislative body has adopted an ordinance under subsection (a):

(1) Property or services purchased or leased from:

(A) the United States government;  or

(B) an agency or a political subdivision of the United States government.

(2) License fees or permit fees.

(3) Insurance premiums.

(4) Utility payments or utility connection charges.

(5) Federal grant programs if:

(A) advance funding is not prohibited;  and

(B) the contracting party provides sufficient security for the amount advanced.

(6) Grants of state funds authorized by statute.

(7) Maintenance agreements or service agreements.

(8) Lease agreements or rental agreements.

(9) Principal and interest payments on bonds.

(10) Payroll.

(11) State, federal, or county taxes.

(12) Expenses that must be paid because of emergency circumstances.

(13) Expenses described in an ordinance.

(c) Each payment of expenses under this section must be supported by a fully itemized invoice or bill and certification by the fiscal officer.

(d) The town legislative body or the board having jurisdiction over the allowance of the claim shall review and allow the claim at the body's or board's next regular or special meeting following the preapproved payment of the expense.

Cite this article: - Indiana Code Title 36. Local Government § 36-5-4-12 - last updated June 08, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard