Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Sec. 6. The board may, acting under the title “capital improvement board of managers of __________ County”, do the following:
(1) Acquire by grant, purchase, gift, devise, lease, condemnation, or otherwise, and hold, use, sell, lease, or dispose of, real and personal property and all property rights and interests necessary or convenient for the exercise of its powers under this chapter.
(2) Construct, reconstruct, repair, remodel, enlarge, extend, or add to any capital improvement built or acquired by the board under this chapter.
(3) Control and operate a capital improvement, including letting concessions and leasing all or part of the capital improvement.
(4) Fix charges and establish rules governing the use of a capital improvement.
(5) Accept gifts or contributions from individuals, corporations, limited liability companies, partnerships, associations, trusts, or political subdivisions, foundations, and funds, loans, or advances on the terms that the board considers necessary or desirable from the United States, the state, and any political subdivision or department of either, including entering into and carrying out contracts and agreements in connection with this subdivision.
(6) Exercise within and in the name of the county the power of eminent domain under general statutes governing the exercise of the power for a public purpose.
(7) Receive and collect money due for the use or leasing of a capital improvement and from concessions and other contracts, and expend the money for proper purposes.
(8) Receive excise taxes, income taxes, and ad valorem property taxes and expend the money for operating expenses, payments of principal or interest of bonds or notes issued under this chapter, and for all or part of the cost of a capital improvement.
(9) Retain the services of architects, engineers, accountants, attorneys, and consultants and hire employees upon terms and conditions established by the board, so long as any employees or members of the board authorized to receive, collect, and expend money are covered by a fidelity bond, the amount of which shall be fixed by the board. Funds may not be disbursed by an employee or member of the board without prior specific approval by the board.
(10) Provide coverage for its employees under IC 22-3 and IC 22-4.
(11) Purchase public liability and other insurance considered desirable.
(12) Subject to section 6.5 of this chapter, make and enter into all contracts and agreements necessary or incidental to the performance of its duties and the execution of its powers under this chapter, including the enforcement of them.
(13) Sue and be sued in the name and style of “capital improvement board of managers of __________ County” (including the name of the county), service of process being had by leaving a copy at the board's office.
(14) Prepare and publish descriptive material and literature relating to the facilities and advantages of a capital improvement and do all other acts that the board considers necessary to promote and publicize the capital improvement, including the convention and visitor industry, and serve the commercial, industrial, and cultural interests of Indiana and its citizens. The board may assist, cooperate, and fund governmental, public, and private agencies and groups for these purposes.
(15) Enter into leases of capital improvements and sell or lease property under IC 5-1-17 or IC 36-10-9.1.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Indiana Code Title 36. Local Government § 36-10-9-6 - last updated June 08, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/in/title-36-local-government/in-code-sect-36-10-9-6/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?