Skip to main content

Indiana Code Title 35. Criminal Law and Procedure § 35-35-3-3

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

Sec. 3. (a) No plea agreement may be made by the prosecuting attorney to a court on a felony charge except:

(1) in writing;  and

(2) before the defendant enters a plea of guilty.

The plea agreement shall be shown as filed, and if its contents indicate that the prosecuting attorney anticipates that the defendant intends to enter a plea of guilty to a felony charge, the court shall order the presentence report required by IC 35-38-1-8 and may hear evidence on the plea agreement.

(b) If the plea agreement is not accepted, the court shall reject it before the case may be disposed of by trial or by guilty plea.  If the court rejects the plea agreement, subsequent plea agreements may be filed with the court, subject to the same requirements that this chapter imposes upon the initial plea agreement.

(c) A plea agreement in a misdemeanor case may be submitted orally to the court.

(d) In a misdemeanor case, if:

(1) the court rejects a plea agreement;  and

(2) the prosecuting attorney or the defendant files a written motion for change of judge within ten (10) days after the plea agreement is rejected;

the court shall grant the motion for change of judge and transfer the proceeding to a special judge under the Indiana Rules of Criminal Procedure.  However, there may not be more than one (1) transfer of the proceeding to a special judge under this subsection.

(e) If the court accepts a plea agreement, it shall be bound by its terms.

Cite this article: - Indiana Code Title 35. Criminal Law and Procedure § 35-35-3-3 - last updated June 08, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard