Skip to main content

Indiana Code Title 33. Courts and Court Officers § 33-28-5-21

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

Sec. 21. (a) Not later than seven (7) days after a moving party discovers or by the exercise of diligence could have discovered grounds, but before a petit jury is sworn to try a case, a party may:

(1) in a civil case move to stay the proceedings;  and

(2) in a criminal case move:

(A) to dismiss the indictment (if the case has been brought by indictment);

(B) to stay the proceedings;  or

(C) for other appropriate relief;

on the ground of substantial failure to comply with this chapter in selecting the prospective grand or petit jurors.

(b) Upon a motion filed under subsection (a) containing a sworn statement of facts that, if true, would constitute a substantial failure to comply with this chapter, the moving party may present evidence in support of the motion.

(c) If the court determines that in selecting either a grand jury or a petit jury there has been a substantial failure to comply with this chapter, the court:

(1) shall stay the proceedings pending the selection of the jury in conformity with this chapter;  and

(2) may dismiss an indictment (if the case was brought by indictment) or grant other appropriate relief.

(d) The procedures required by this section are the exclusive means by which the state, a person accused of an offense, or a party in a civil case may challenge a jury on the ground that the jury was not selected in conformity with this chapter.

(e) The parties to the case may inspect, reproduce, and copy the records or papers of the jury administrator at all reasonable times during the preparation and pendency of a motion under subsection (a).

Cite this article: - Indiana Code Title 33. Courts and Court Officers § 33-28-5-21 - last updated June 08, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard