Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Sec. 2. (a) A conveyance of land that is:
(1) worded in substance as “A.B. conveys and warrants to C.D.” (insert a description of the premises) “for the sum of” (insert the consideration); and
(2) dated and signed, sealed, and acknowledged by the grantor;
is a conveyance in fee simple to the grantee and the grantee's heirs and assigns with a covenant as described in subsection (b).
(b) A conveyance in fee simple under subsection (a) includes a covenant from the grantor for the grantor and the grantor's heirs and personal representatives that the grantor:
(1) is lawfully seized of the premises;
(2) has good right to convey the premises;
(3) guarantees the quiet possession of the premises;
(4) guarantees that the premises are free from all encumbrances; and
(5) will warrant and defend the title to the premises against all lawful claims.
(c) If a transfer on death deed under IC 32-17-14 has been recorded before the death of the owner with the recorder of deeds in the county in which the real property is situated, a subsequent conveyance of the real property is void if it is not recorded before the death of the owner with the recorder of deeds in the county in which the real property is situated.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Indiana Code Title 32. Property § 32-17-1-2 - last updated June 08, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/in/title-32-property/in-code-sect-32-17-1-2/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.