Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Sec. 1. A juvenile court has exclusive original jurisdiction, except as provided in sections 9, 10, 12, and 13 of this chapter, in the following:
(1) Proceedings in which a child, including a child of divorced parents, is alleged to be a delinquent child under IC 31-37.
(2) Proceedings in which a child, including a child of divorced parents, is alleged to be a child in need of services under IC 31-34.
(3) Proceedings concerning the paternity of a child under IC 31-14.
(4) Proceedings under the interstate compact on juveniles under IC 31-37-23.
(5) Proceedings governing the participation of a parent, guardian, or custodian in a program of care, treatment, or rehabilitation for a child under IC 31-34-16 or IC 31-37-15.
(6) Proceedings under IC 31-34-4, IC 31-34-5, IC 31-37-5, and IC 31-37-6 governing the detention of a child before a petition has been filed.
(7) Proceedings to issue a protective order under IC 31-32-13.
(8) Proceedings in which a child less than sixteen (16) years of age is alleged to have committed an act that would be a misdemeanor traffic offense if committed by an adult.
(9) Proceedings in which a child is alleged to have committed an act that would be an offense under IC 9-30-5 if committed by an adult.
(10) Guardianship of the person proceedings for a child:
(A) who has been adjudicated as a child in need of services;
(B) for whom a juvenile court has approved a permanency plan under IC 31-34-21-7 that provides for the appointment of a guardian of the person; and
(C) who is the subject of a pending child in need of services proceeding under IC 31-34.
(11) Proceedings concerning involuntary drug and alcohol treatment under IC 31-32-16.
(12) Proceedings under the interstate compact for juveniles under IC 11-13-4.5-1.5.
(13) Proceedings under IC 31-28-5.8.
(14) Other proceedings specified by law.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Indiana Code Title 31. Family Law and Juvenile Law § 31-30-1-1 - last updated June 08, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/in/title-31-family-law-and-juvenile-law/in-code-sect-31-30-1-1/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?