Sec. 4 . (a) Except as provided in subsection (b), the owner of a dog commits a Class C misdemeanor if:
(1) the owner recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally fails to take reasonable steps to restrain the dog;
(2) the dog enters property other than the property of the dog's owner; and
(3) as the result of the owner's failure to restrain the dog, the dog bites or attacks another person without provocation, resulting in bodily injury to the other person.
(b) The offense under subsection (a) is:
(1) a Class B misdemeanor if the person has been convicted of one (1) previous unrelated violation of this section;
(2) a Class A misdemeanor if:
(A) the person has been convicted of more than one (1) previous unrelated violation of this section; or
(B) the violation results in serious bodily injury to a person;
(3) a Level 6 felony if the owner recklessly violates this section and the violation results in the death of a person; and
(4) a Level 5 felony if the owner intentionally or knowingly violates this section and the violation results in the death of a person.
(c) This subsection does not apply to a nonaggressive dog that goes beyond the owner's premises onto agricultural or forested land. An owner of a dog commits a Class D infraction if the owner of the dog allows the dog to stray beyond the owner's premises, unless the dog is under the reasonable control of an individual or the dog is engaged in lawful hunting and accompanied by the owner or a custodian of the dog. However, the offense is a Class C infraction if the owner has a prior unrelated judgment for a violation of this subsection.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.