Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Sec. 1. The following are the purposes of this article:
(1) To promote, encourage, and advance the prevention, detection, control, and eradication of diseases and pests affecting:
(A) the health of animals within Indiana; and
(B) trade in animals and animal products in and from Indiana.
(2) To protect the agricultural public and all other persons who might be damaged through the purchase, sale, or exchange of animals by means of fraud, deception, dishonesty, or discrimination arising out of the marketing of animals.
(3) To safeguard the public health and welfare of the citizens of Indiana against health hazards, annoyances, and nuisances that might arise from the collection, transportation, and cooking of garbage to be fed to swine.
(4) To control and regulate the transportation over the highways of Indiana and the disposal of:
(A) the carcasses of dead animals not slaughtered and intended for human foods; and
(B) the nonedible byproducts from the slaughtering of animals and poultry for human foods;
to the end that the spread of animal diseases in Indiana is controlled and that the public health and welfare of the citizens of Indiana is conserved and protected against dangers, annoyances, and nuisances that might arise from carcasses and byproducts of slaughtering and from the transportation and disposal of carcasses and the byproducts of slaughtering if these activities were not regulated by laws designed to effectuate these purposes and public policy.
(5) To control and regulate the sanitary and health conditions under which animals are brought upon, consigned to, sold, bartered, or exchanged through, or removed from, the premises of livestock auction markets or community sales, to the end that the spread of diseases and pests of animals in Indiana is controlled and that the public health and welfare of the citizens of Indiana is conserved and protected.
(6) To regulate the production, manufacture, processing, and distribution of products derived from animals to control health hazards that may threaten the public health and welfare of the citizens of Indiana or threaten trade in animals and animal products in and from Indiana.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Indiana Code Title 15. Agriculture and Animals § 15-17-1-1 - last updated June 08, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/in/title-15-agriculture-and-animals/in-code-sect-15-17-1-1/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?