Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
§ 5-43. Refusal to make anatomical gift; effect of refusal.
(a) An individual may refuse to make an anatomical gift of the individual's body or part by:
(1) a record signed by:
(A) the individual; or
(B) subject to subsection (b) of this Section, another individual acting at the direction of the individual if the individual is physically unable to sign;
(2) the individual's will, whether or not the will is admitted to probate or invalidated after the individual's death; or
(3) any form of communication made by the individual during the individual's terminal illness or injury addressed to at least 2 adults, at least one of whom is a disinterested witness.
(b) A record signed under subdivision (a)(1)(B) of this Section must:
(1) be witnessed by at least 2 adults, at least one of whom is a disinterested witness, who have signed at the request of the individual; and
(2) state that it has been signed and witnessed as provided in paragraph (1) of this subsection (b).
(c) An individual who has made a refusal may amend or revoke the refusal:
(1) in the manner provided in subsection (a) of this Section for making a refusal;
(2) by subsequently making an anatomical gift under subsection (a), (b), (b-1), (b-5), or (b-10) of Section 5-20 that is inconsistent with the refusal; or
(3) by destroying or canceling the record evidencing the refusal, or the portion of the record used to make the refusal, with the intent to revoke the refusal.
(d) In the absence of an express, contrary indication by the individual set forth in the refusal, an individual's unrevoked refusal to make an anatomical gift of the individual's body or part bars all other persons from making an anatomical gift of the individual's body or part.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Illinois Statutes Chapter 755. Estates § 50/5-43. Refusal to make anatomical gift; effect of refusal - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/il/chapter-755-estates/il-st-sect-755-50-5-43/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?