Illinois Statutes Chapter 410. Public Health § 210/4.Sexually transmitted disease;  drug or alcohol abuse

§ 4.  Sexually transmitted disease;  drug or alcohol abuse.  Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a minor 12 years of age or older who may have come into contact with any sexually transmitted disease, or may be determined to be an intoxicated person or a person with a substance use disorder, as defined in the Substance Use Disorder Act,   1 or who may have a family member who abuses drugs or alcohol, may give consent to the furnishing of health care services or counseling related to the diagnosis or treatment of the disease.  Each incident of sexually transmitted disease shall be reported to the State Department of Public Health or the local board of health in accordance with regulations adopted under statute or ordinance.  The consent of the parent, parents, or legal guardian of a minor shall not be necessary to authorize health care services or counseling related to the diagnosis or treatment of sexually transmitted disease or drug use or alcohol consumption by the minor or the effects on the minor of drug or alcohol abuse by a member of the minor's family.  The consent of the minor shall be valid and binding as if the minor had achieved his or her majority.  The consent shall not be voidable nor subject to later disaffirmance because of minority.

Anyone involved in the furnishing of health services care to the minor or counseling related to the diagnosis or treatment of the minor's disease or drug or alcohol use by the minor or a member of the minor's family shall, upon the minor's consent, make reasonable efforts, to involve the family of the minor in his or her treatment, if the person furnishing treatment believes that the involvement of the family will not be detrimental to the progress and care of the minor.  Reasonable effort shall be extended to assist the minor in accepting the involvement of his or her family in the care and treatment being given.

1 20 ILCS 301/1-1 et seq.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.