Skip to main content

Illinois Statutes Chapter 220. Utilities § 5/19-111. Material changes in business

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

§ 19-111. Material changes in business.

(a) The provisions of this Section shall apply only to alternative gas suppliers serving or seeking to serve residential or small commercial customers and only to the extent such alternative gas suppliers provide services to residential or small commercial customers.

(b) Alternative gas suppliers shall file with the Commission a notification of any material change to the information supplied in a certification application within 30 days of such material change.

(1) An alternative gas supplier shall file such notice under the docket number assigned to the alternative gas supplier's certification application, whichever is the most recent. The supplier shall also serve such notice upon the gas utility company serving customers in the service area where the alternative gas supplier is certified to provide service.

(2) After notice and an opportunity for a hearing, the Commission may (i) suspend, rescind, or conditionally rescind an alternative gas supplier's certificate if it determines that the material change will adversely affect the alternative gas supplier's fitness or ability to provide the services for which it is certified or (ii) require the alternative gas supplier to provide reasonable financial assurances sufficient to protect their customers and gas utilities from default.

(c) Material changes to the information contained in or supplied with a certification application include, but are not limited to, the following:

(1) Any significant change in ownership (an ownership interest of 5% or more) of the applicant or alternative gas supplier.

(2) An affiliation with any gas utility or change of an affiliation with a gas utility in this State.

(3) Retirement or other long-term changes to the operational status of supply resources relied upon by the alternative gas supplier to provide alternative gas service. Changes in the volume of supply from any given supply resource replaced by a comparable supply resource do not need to be reported.

(4) Revocation, restriction, or termination of any interconnection or service agreement with a pipeline company or natural gas company relied upon by an alternative gas supplier to provide alternative retail natural gas service, but only if such revocation, restriction, or termination creates a situation in which the alternative gas supplier does not meet the tariffed capacity requirements of the relevant Illinois natural gas utility or utilities.

(5) If the alternative gas supplier has a long-term bond rating from Standard & Poor's or its successor, or Fitch Ratings or its successor, or Moody's Investor Service or its successor, and the alternative gas supplier's long-term bond rating falls below BBB as reported by Standard & Poor's or its successor or Fitch Ratings or its successor or below Baa3 as reported by Moody's Investors Service or its successor.

(6) The applicant or alternative gas supplier has or intends to file for reorganization, protection from creditors, or any other form of bankruptcy with any court.

(7) Any judgment, finding, or ruling by a court or regulatory agency that could affect an alternative gas supplier's fitness or ability to provide service in this State.

(8) Any change in the alternative gas supplier's name or logo, including without limitation any change in the alternative gas supplier's legal name, fictitious names, or assumed business names, except for logos and names the alternative gas supplier provided as part of its original certification process or that the alternative gas supplier previously provided to the Commission under this Section.

Cite this article: - Illinois Statutes Chapter 220. Utilities § 5/19-111. Material changes in business - last updated January 01, 2019 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard