Skip to main content

Idaho Statutes Title 42. Irrigation and Drainage--Water Rights and Reclamation § 42-235. Drilling permits

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

Prior to beginning construction of any well, or changing the construction of any well, the driller or well owner shall obtain a permit from the director of the department of water resources to protect the public health, safety and welfare and the environment, and to prevent the waste of water or mixture of water from different aquifers. There shall be a seventy-five dollar ($75.00) charge for the permit if the well is to be used for domestic or monitoring purposes. If the well is to be used for other than domestic or monitoring purposes, the charge for the permit shall be two hundred dollars ($200). All moneys received pursuant to this section shall be credited to the water administration account. The director may provide a blanket drilling permit for site specific monitoring programs which will determine the quality, quantity, temperature, pressure or other attributes of aquifers. The application for a blanket permit shall include a design proposal prepared by a licensed engineer or licensed geologist which shall describe the overall drilling program and all relevant technical features of the wells to the satisfaction of the director. Progress reports, completion and other data may be required as provided by rule. The fee for the blanket permit shall be one hundred dollars ($100) plus an additional fifty dollars ($50.00) per well. A driller or well owner violating any provision of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall also be subject to the enforcement procedures of section 42-1701B, Idaho Code.

Cite this article: - Idaho Statutes Title 42. Irrigation and Drainage--Water Rights and Reclamation § 42-235. Drilling permits - last updated January 01, 2020 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard