Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(1) Any vacancy occurring on the highway district board, other than by expiration of the term of office, shall be determined by the remaining highway district board using the criteria established in section 59-901, Idaho Code.
(2) If it is determined that a vacancy has occurred as provided in subsection (1) of this section, the remaining highway district board shall declare there is a vacancy and such vacancy shall be filled as herein provided:
(a) The remaining highway district board shall have thirty (30) days to appoint a person to fill the vacancy.
(b) If a majority of the remaining highway district board so constituted shall be unable to agree upon an appointment of a person to fill the vacancy before the expiration of the thirty (30) day period, the remaining highway district board shall submit a list of three (3) nominations to the governor within five (5) days.
(c) The governor shall fill the vacancy within ten (10) days by appointing a person having the qualifications set forth herein. In the event the remaining highway district board fails to submit a list of three (3) nominations as set forth in this section, the governor shall have an additional ten (10) days to fill the vacancy by appointing a person having the same qualifications at the time of the appointment as those provided by law for election to the office.
(3) The person selected shall be a person who possesses the same qualifications at the time of his appointment as those provided by law for election to the vacant office.
(4) The term of the appointment shall be for the balance of the term of the person replaced.
(5) Appointment pursuant to the provisions of this chapter shall be in writing and filed with the secretary of the highway district, the clerk of the county commissioners and the tax collector of the county.
(6) Any person appointed to fill a vacancy, after filing the official oath and qualifying for the official bond in accordance with the provisions of section 40-1405, Idaho Code, shall possess all the rights and powers, and is subject to all the liabilities, duties and obligations of the office filled.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Idaho Statutes Title 40. Highways and Bridges § 40-1404B. Vacancies--Filling a mid-term vacancy - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/id/title-40-highways-and-bridges/id-st-sect-40-1404b/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?