Skip to main content

Idaho Statutes Title 33. Education § 33-522A. Reduction in force defined

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(1) A reduction in force may occur when there are:

(a) Curriculum or program changes;

(b) Negative changes in the financial conditions of the school district;

(c) Decreases in student enrollment, including overall, by program, by grade or by school; or

(d) Staffing or highly qualified teacher limitations of the district.

(2) For purposes of title 33[, Idaho Code], “reduction in force” means the elimination of a certificated staff position or positions or a portion or percentage of a position or positions, when there is one (1) or more of the following:

(a) The elimination of an entire program or portions of a program;

(b) The elimination of positions in certain grade levels only;

(c) The elimination of a position by category; or

(d) The elimination of a position in an overall review of the district.

(3)(a) The decision to institute a reduction in force and the selection of an employee or employees subject to such reduction shall be at the sole discretion of the board of trustees, except for the following limitation: The decision as to which employee or employees shall be subject to such reduction shall not be made solely on consideration of employee seniority or contract status.

(b) Each school district may adopt a policy establishing an equitable method of recalling individuals subject to a reduction in force if positions become available subsequent to the reduction in force.

Cite this article: - Idaho Statutes Title 33. Education § 33-522A. Reduction in force defined - last updated January 01, 2023 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard