The verified petition shall be addressed to the district court of the county where the applicant resides and shall state and provide for each person seeking a name change:
1. The name at the time the petition is filed of the person whose name is to be changed and the person's county of residence. If the person whose name is to be changed is a minor child, the petition shall state the name of the petitioner and the petitioner's relationship to the minor child.
2. A description including height, weight, color of hair, color of eyes, race, sex, and date and place of birth.
3. Residence at time of petition and any prior residences for the past five years.
4. Reason for change of name, briefly and concisely stated.
5. A legal description of all real property in this state owned by the petitioner.
6. The name the petitioner proposes to take.
7. A certified copy of the birth certificate to be attached to the petition. If a certified copy of the birth certificate is not available, the reason for the unavailability shall be stated and another form of identification, which may include documents provided by the United States department of immigration and naturalization service, shall be attached in lieu of the certified copy of the birth certificate.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.