Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
1. A natural resource commission is created, which consists of seven members appointed by the governor for staggered terms of six years beginning and ending as provided in section 69.19 . The appointees are subject to senate confirmation. The members shall be citizens of the state who have a substantial knowledge of the subjects embraced by chapter 456A. The appointments shall be based upon the training, experience, and capacity of the appointees, and not based upon political considerations, other than as provided in section 69.16 . A member of the commission shall not hold any other state or federal office.
2. A vacancy on the commission shall be filled for the unexpired term in the same manner as the original appointment was made.
3. The members of the commission shall be reimbursed for actual and necessary travel and related expenses incurred in the discharge of official duties. Each member of the commission may also be eligible to receive compensation as provided in section 7E.6 .
4. The commission shall hold an organizational meeting within thirty days of the beginning of a new regular term for one or more of its members. The commission shall organize by electing a chairperson, vice chairperson, secretary, and any other officers deemed necessary or desirable. The commission shall meet at least quarterly throughout the year.
5. A majority of the members of the commission is a quorum, and a majority of a quorum may act in any matter within the jurisdiction of the commission, unless a more restrictive rule is adopted by the commission.
6. Except as otherwise provided by law, the commission shall:
a. Establish policy and adopt rules, pursuant to chapter 17A, necessary to provide for the effective administration of chapter 321G, 321I, 456A, 456B, 457A, 461A, 462A, 462B, 464A, 465C, 481A, 481B, 483A, 484A, or 484B.
b. Hear appeals in contested cases pursuant to chapter 17A on matters relating to actions taken by the director under chapter 321G, 321I, 456A, 456B, 457A, 461A, 462A, 462B, 464A, 465C, 481A, 481B, 483A, 484A, or 484B.
c. Approve or disapprove proposals for the acquisition or disposal of state lands and waters relating to state parks, recreational facilities, and wildlife programs, submitted by the director.
d. Approve the budget request prepared by the director for the programs authorized by chapters 321G, 321I, 456A, 456B, 457A, 461A, 462A, 462B, 464A, 481A, 481B, 483A, 484A, and 484B. The commission may increase, decrease, or strike any item within the department budget request for the specified programs before granting approval.
e. Adopt, by rule, a schedule of fees for permits, including conditional permits, and a schedule of fees for administration of the permits. The fees shall be collected by the department and used to offset costs incurred in administrating a program for which the issuance of the permit is made or under which enforcement is carried out. In determining the fee schedule, the commission shall consider all of the following:
(1) The reasonable costs associated with reviewing applications, issuing permits, and monitoring compliance with the terms of issued permits.
(2) The relative benefits to the applicant and to the public of a permit review, permit issuance, and monitoring compliance with the terms of the permit.
(3) The typical costs associated with a type of project or activity for which a permit is required. However, a fee shall not exceed the actual costs incurred by the department.
f. Approve or disapprove proposals involving the dredging or renovation of lakes; the acquisition, development, and maintenance of boating facilities; and the acquisition, development, and maintenance of recreational facilities associated with recreational boating.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Iowa Code Title XI. Natural Resources [Chs. 455-485] § 455A.5. Natural resource commission--appointment and duties - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ia/title-xi-natural-resources-chs-455-485/ia-code-sect-455a-5.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.