Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
The following words and phrases when used in this chapter shall, for the purposes of this chapter, have the meanings respectively ascribed to them in this section, except in those instances where the context clearly indicates a different meaning:
1. “Book”, “list”, “record”, or “schedule” kept by a county auditor, assessor, treasurer, recorder, sheriff, or other county officer means the county system as defined in section 445.1 .
2. “Department” means the state department of transportation.
3. “Judgment” means a judgment which has become final by expiration without appeal during the time within which an appeal might have been perfected, or a judgment if an appeal from the judgment has been perfected, which has not been stayed by the execution, filing, and approval of a bond as provided in rule of appellate procedure 6.601(1) , or a judgment which has become final by affirmation on appeal, rendered by a court of competent jurisdiction of a state or of the United States, upon a cause of action arising out of the ownership, maintenance, or use of a motor vehicle, as defined in this section, for damages, including damages for care and loss of services, because of bodily injury to or death of a person, or for damages because of injury to or destruction of property, including the loss of use of property, or upon a cause of action on an agreement of settlement for such damages.
4. “License” means a driver's license as defined in section 321.1 issued under the laws of this state.
5. “Motor vehicle” means every vehicle which is self-propelled, but not including vehicles known as trackless trolleys which are propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires and not operated upon rails. The term “car” or “automobile” shall be synonymous with the term “motor vehicle”. “Motor vehicle” does not include special mobile equipment as defined in this section.
6. “Nonresident” means every person who is not a resident of this state.
7. “Nonresident operating privilege” means the privilege conferred upon a nonresident by the laws of this state pertaining to the operation by the nonresident of a motor vehicle, or the use of a motor vehicle owned by the nonresident, in this state.
8. “Operator” means a person who is in actual physical control of a motor vehicle whether or not that person has a driver's license as required under the laws of this state.
9. “Owner” means a person who holds the legal title of a motor vehicle; however, if the motor vehicle is the subject of a security agreement with a right of possession in the debtor, the debtor shall be deemed the owner for purposes of this chapter or if the motor vehicle is leased as defined in section 321.493 , the lessee shall be deemed the owner for purposes of this chapter.
10. “Person” means every natural person, firm, partnership, association, or corporation.
11. “Proof of financial responsibility” means proof of ability to respond in damages for liability, on account of accidents occurring subsequent to the effective date of the proof, arising out of the ownership, maintenance, or use of a motor vehicle, in amounts as follows:
a. With respect to accidents occurring on or after January 1, 1981, and prior to January 1, 1983, the amount of fifteen thousand dollars because of bodily injury to or death of one person in any one accident, and, subject to the limit for one person, the amount of thirty thousand dollars because of bodily injury to or death of two or more persons in any one accident, and the amount of ten thousand dollars because of injury to or destruction of property of others in any one accident.
b. With respect to accidents occurring on or after January 1, 1983, the amount of twenty thousand dollars because of bodily injury to or death of one person in any one accident, and, subject to the limit for one person, the amount of forty thousand dollars because of bodily injury to or death of two or more persons in any one accident, and the amount of fifteen thousand dollars because of injury to or destruction of property of others in any one accident.
12. “Registration” means a registration certificate or certificates and registration plates issued under the laws of this state pertaining to the registration of motor vehicles.
13. “Special mobile equipment” means every vehicle not designed or used primarily for the transportation of persons or property and incidentally operated or moved over the highways, including road construction or maintenance machinery, ditch-digging apparatus, and implements of husbandry as defined in section 321.1, subsection 32 . This description does not exclude other vehicles which are within the general terms of this subsection.
14. “State” means any state, territory, or possession of the United States, the District of Columbia, or any province of the Dominion of Canada.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Iowa Code Title VIII. Transportation [Chs. 306-330B] § 321A.1. Definitions - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ia/title-viii-transportation-chs-306-330b/ia-code-sect-321a-1.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.