Iowa Code Title VIII. Transportation [Chs. 306-330B] § 321.210. Suspension
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Iowa Code
Search by Keyword or Citation
1. a. The department is authorized to establish rules providing for the suspension of the license of an operator upon thirty days' notice and without preliminary hearing upon a showing by its records or other sufficient evidence that the licensee:
(1) Is an habitually reckless or negligent driver of a motor vehicle.
(2) Is an habitual violator of the traffic laws.
(3) Is physically or mentally incapable of safely operating a motor vehicle.
(4) Has permitted an unlawful or fraudulent use of the license.
(5) Has committed an offense or acted in a manner in another state or foreign jurisdiction which in this state would be grounds for suspension or revocation.
(6) Has committed a serious violation of the motor vehicle laws of this state.
(7) Is subject to a license suspension under section 321.513.
b. Prior to a suspension taking effect under paragraph “a”, subparagraphs (1), (2), (3), (4), (5), or (6), the licensee shall have received thirty days' advance notice of the effective date of the suspension. Notwithstanding the terms of the Iowa administrative procedure Act, chapter 17A, the filing of a petition for judicial review shall, except for suspensions under paragraph “a”, subparagraph (3), operate to stay the suspension pending the determination by the district court.
2. In determining suspension the department shall not consider the following:
a. Violation of motor vehicle equipment standards if repairs are made within seventy-two hours of the violation and satisfactory evidence of repair is immediately sent to the department.
c. Parking violations, meaning violation of a local authority parking ordinance or violation of sections 321L.4, 321.366, subsection 1, paragraph “f”, and sections 321.354 through 321.361 except section 321.354, subsection 1, paragraph “a”.
d. The first two speeding violations within any twelve-month period of ten miles per hour or less over the legal speed limit in speed zones having a legal speed limit between thirty-four miles per hour and fifty-six miles per hour.
e. Violations of section 321.276.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Iowa Code Title VIII. Transportation [Chs. 306-330B] § 321.210. Suspension - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ia/title-viii-transportation-chs-306-330b/ia-code-sect-321-210.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?