(a) A bailee shall deliver the goods to a person entitled under a document of title
if the person complies with subsections (b) and (c), unless and to the extent that
the bailee establishes any of the following:
(1) Delivery of the goods to a person whose receipt was rightful as against the claimant;
(2) Damage to or delay, loss, or destruction of the goods for which the bailee is
(3) Previous sale or other disposition of the goods in lawful enforcement of a lien
or on a warehouse's lawful termination of storage;
(6) Release, satisfaction, or any other personal defense against the claimant; or
(7) Any other lawful excuse.
(b) A person claiming goods covered by a document of title shall satisfy the bailee's
lien if the bailee so requests or if the bailee is prohibited by law from delivering
the goods until the charges are paid.
(c) Unless a person claiming the goods is a person against which the document of title
does not confer a right under section 490:7-503(a):
(1) The person claiming under a document shall surrender possession or control of
any outstanding negotiable document covering the goods for cancellation or indication
of partial deliveries; and
(2) The bailee shall cancel the document or conspicuously indicate in the document
the partial delivery or the bailee is liable to any person to which the document is
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?
Response sent, thank you
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes
A free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.