Skip to main content

Hawaii Revised Statutes Division 1. Government § 171-51

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

<This section is suspended through the disaster emergency relief period. See the Supplemental Emergency Proclamation for COVID-19 (2019 HI EO P20-33) signed on March 16, 2020, and executive actions issued subsequent thereto.>

The board of land and natural resources may, after giving public notice as required in section 171-16(d):

(1) Quitclaim public lands by deed or land patent in exchange for deeds of private lands by way of compromise or equitable settlement of rights of claimants without auction;

(2) Execute quitclaim deeds quitclaiming any and all interests of the State in private land for the purpose of perfecting title to such private land in private individuals who have defective titles; provided that no quitclaim may issue where the title to private land is subject to reversion to the State or to a right of entry by the State upon breach of condition subsequent or where the title to the private land is conveyed by the State for specific uses or purposes; provided further that no exchange or quitclaim may be entered into or made where the interest of the State arises by reason of any provision in a deed or patent issued by the State, which prescribes the specific use to which the land may be put or the specific purpose for which the land was conveyed; provided further that any exchange or quitclaim shall be subject to disapproval by the legislature by a two-thirds vote of either the senate or the house of representatives or by majority vote of both, in any regular or special session next following the date of the exchange or quitclaim.

Cite this article: - Hawaii Revised Statutes Division 1. Government § 171-51 - last updated January 01, 2019 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard