Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) There is established within the Department of Community Affairs a local government efficiency grant program. Funds may be appropriated to such grant program by line item reference in any appropriations Act, and any funds so appropriated shall be used for the sole purpose of making grants to local governments for the following purposes:
(1) Conducting efficiency assessments to determine the need for and desirability of consolidation of local government units or local government service delivery programs, including privatization of such programs, or both;
(2) Planning for the consolidation of local government units or local government service delivery programs, including privatization of such programs, or both, when it has been determined that such consolidation is needed and desirable; and
(3) Implementing the consolidation of local government units or local government service delivery programs, including privatization of such programs, or both, where it has been determined that such consolidation is needed and desirable and a plan has been developed for carrying out the consolidation or furthering the efficiency and effectiveness of a single consolidated local government's service delivery programs.
(b) The Department of Community Affairs shall promulgate rules and regulations which shall provide for:
(1) Standards and procedures for local governments to make application for local government efficiency grant funds; and
(2) Standards and procedures for the awarding of local government efficiency grant funds, such standards to be consistent with the statement of legislative findings set out in Code Section 36-86-2.
(c) Funds appropriated for local government efficiency grants shall be subject to normal budgetary processes and controls, including the lapsing of unexpended and uncommitted funds at the end of each fiscal year.
(d) The Department of Community Affairs shall provide procedures and guidelines specifying the manner of conducting and the contents of the efficiency assessments that are authorized to be conducted under paragraph (1) of subsection (a) of this Code section.
(e) The efficiency assessments shall be conducted only for the purpose of providing the local government units with the cost savings and efficiencies, if any, which could be achieved through consolidation of governmental units or service delivery programs or both. There shall be no requirement that local government units that elect to conduct an efficiency assessment be compelled to consolidate local government units or local government service delivery programs as a result of the findings of the efficiency assessment.
(f) No local government shall be required to undertake any of the studies necessary for carrying out the provisions of subsection (a) of this Code section unless funds are appropriated for the purposes of that subsection.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Georgia Code Title 36. Local Government § 36-86-4 - last updated April 14, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ga/title-36-local-government/ga-code-sect-36-86-4/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?