Skip to main content

Florida Statutes Title XIV. Taxation and Finance § 197.582. Disbursement of proceeds of sale

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(1) If the property is purchased by any person other than the certificateholder, the clerk shall forthwith pay to the certificateholder all of the sums he or she has paid, including the amount required for the redemption of the certificate or certificates together with any and all subsequent unpaid taxes plus the costs and expenses of the application for deed, with interest on the total of such sums for the period running from the month after the date of application for the deed through the month of sale at the rate of 1.5 percent per month.  The clerk shall distribute the amount required to redeem the certificate or certificates and the amount required for the redemption of other tax certificates on the same land with omitted taxes and with all costs, plus interest thereon at the rate of 1.5 percent per month for the period running from the month after the date of application for the deed through the month of sale, in the same manner as he or she distributes money received for the redemption of tax certificates owned by the county.

(2) If the property is purchased for an amount in excess of the statutory bid of the certificateholder, the excess must be paid over and disbursed by the clerk.  If the property purchased is homestead property and the statutory bid includes an amount equal to at least one-half of the assessed value of the homestead, that amount must be treated as excess and distributed in the same manner.  The clerk shall distribute the excess to the governmental units for the payment of any lien of record held by a governmental unit against the property, including any tax certificates not incorporated in the tax deed application and omitted taxes, if any.  If the excess is not sufficient to pay all of such liens in full, the excess shall be paid to each governmental unit pro rata.  If, after all liens of governmental units are paid in full, there remains a balance of undistributed funds, the balance shall be retained by the clerk for the benefit of persons described in s. 197.522(1)(a), except those persons described in s. 197.502(4)(h), as their interests may appear.  The clerk shall mail notices to such persons notifying them of the funds held for their benefit.  Such notice constitutes compliance with the requirements of s. 717.117(4).  Any service charges, at the rate prescribed in s. 28.24(10), and costs of mailing notices shall be paid out of the excess balance held by the clerk.  Excess proceeds shall be held and disbursed in the same manner as unclaimed redemption moneys in s. 197.473.  For purposes of identifying unclaimed property pursuant to s. 717.113, excess proceeds shall be presumed payable or distributable on the date the notice is sent.  If excess proceeds are not sufficient to cover the service charges and mailing costs, the clerk shall receive the total amount of excess proceeds as a service charge.

(3) If unresolved claims against the property exist on the date the property is purchased, the clerk shall ensure that the excess funds are paid according to the priorities of the claims.  If a lien appears to be entitled to priority and the lienholder has not made a claim against the excess funds, payment may not be made on any lien that is junior in priority.  If potentially conflicting claims to the funds exist, the clerk may initiate an interpleader action against the lienholders involved, and the court shall determine the proper distribution of the interpleaded funds.  The clerk may move the court for an award of reasonable fees and costs from the interpleaded funds.

Cite this article: - Florida Statutes Title XIV. Taxation and Finance § 197.582. Disbursement of proceeds of sale - last updated January 01, 2019 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard