Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) A State Emergency Response Commission (SERC) is hereby established in compliance with Title III of the Federal Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act of 1986 (42 U.S.C. Chapter 116, Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know) (42 U.S.C. § 11001 et seq.), and all appointed commissioners shall serve at the pleasure of the appointing authority and, shall consist of the following:
(1) The Secretary of the Department of Safety and Homeland Security, who shall serve as Chair;
(2) The Superintendent of the Delaware State Police, or a designee appointed by the Superintendent;
(3) The Secretary of the Department of Transportation, or a designee appointed by the Secretary;
(4) The Director of the Division of Waste and Hazardous Substances, or a designee appointed by the Secretary of the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control;
(5) The Delaware State Fire Marshal, or a designee appointed by the State Fire Marshal;
(6) The Director of the Delaware Emergency Management Agency, or a designee appointed by the Secretary of the Department of Safety and Homeland Security;
(7) The Director of the Division of Public Health, or a designee appointed by the Secretary of the Department of Health and Social Services;
(8) The Chairs of the SERC established Local Emergency Planning Committees (LEPC) which shall include the City of Wilmington LEPC, New Castle County LEPC, Kent County LEPC, and Sussex County LEPC, or an LEPC member appointed by the Chair;
(9) The Chair of the State Fire Prevention Commission, or a State Fire Prevention Commission member, appointed by the Chair;
(10) Seven commissioners who shall include representatives of air, water, rail and highway transportation, and 3 representatives with experience or knowledge in the area of hazardous materials to be appointed by the Governor for a term of 2 years;
(11) The Director of the Delaware State Fire School, or a designee appointed by the Director; and,
(12) The President of the Delaware State Firefighter's Association, or a designee appointed by the President, who shall serve a term of 2 years.
(b) The Chair shall have no vote except in the case of a tie. The SERC shall meet no less than once each year and at such other times and places as may be designated by the Chair or a majority of the SERC commissioners. The Chair shall cause reasonable notice to be given to each Commission member as to the time and place of each meeting. Eleven Commission members shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business at any meeting. Members of the Commission shall receive no compensation for the meeting.
(c) After the enactment of this section, the SERC may adopt any subsequent federal regulations lawfully promulgated under the parts of the Code of Federal Regulations herein adopted.
(d) The SERC shall submit an annual report to the Governor and the Delaware General Assembly.
(e) The SERC shall assign the state departments and divisions represented on the Commission, the duty of coordinating and assisting in the enforcement of this section. Such assignments shall be affirmed by a majority vote of the SERC commissioners. The SERC may also enlist the support of any other person which it deems necessary to assist in carrying out its functions and duties.
(f) The SERC has authority to promulgate rules and regulations to carry out the purposes of this section. The SERC Chair may appoint subcommittees to address specific issues and provide subject matter expertise in the promulgation of its rules and regulations and the development of standards and programs to ensure continued compliance with this section and the Code of Federal Regulations adopted therein by all affected agencies.
(g) The SERC may adopt or amend its bylaws. Bylaws shall only be adopted or amended with a 3/4 majority vote by SERC Commissioners.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Delaware Code Title 29. State Government § 8226. State Emergency Response Commission - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/de/title-29-state-government/de-code-sect-29-8226/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.