Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) Every person entitled to the benefits conferred by this chapter and desiring to avail himself or herself of the lien provided for in this chapter, shall, within the time specified in this chapter, file a statement of claim, which may also serve as a complaint when so denominated, in the office of the Prothonotary of the Superior Court in and for the county wherein such structure is situated.
(b) The complaint and/or statement of claim shall set forth:
(1) The name of the plaintiff or claimant;
(2) The name of the owner or reputed owner of the structure;
(3) The name of the contractor and whether the contract of the plaintiff-claimant was made with such owner or his agent or with such contractor;
(4) The amount claimed to be due, and, if the amount is not fixed by the contract, a statement of the nature and kind of the labor done or materials furnished with a bill of particulars annexed, showing the kind and amount of labor done or materials furnished or construction management services provided; provided, that if the amount claimed to be due is fixed by the contract, then a true and correct copy of such contract, including all modifications or amendments thereto, shall be annexed;
(5) The time when the doing of the labor or the furnishing of the materials was commenced;
(6) The time when the doing of the labor or the furnishing of the material or the providing of the construction management services was finished, except that:
a. With respect to claims on behalf of contractors covered by § 2711(a) of this title, the date of the completion of the structure, including a specification of the act or event upon which the contractor relies for such date, and
b. With respect to claims on behalf of other persons covered by § 2711(b) of this title, the date of completion of the labor performed or of the last delivery of materials furnished, or both, as the case may be, or a specification of such other act or event upon which such person relies for such date.
(7) The location of the structure with such description as may be sufficient to identify the same;
(8) That the labor was done or the materials were furnished or the construction management services were provided on the credit of the structure;
(9) The amount of plaintiff's claim (which must be in excess of $25) and that neither this amount nor any part thereof has been paid to plaintiff; and
(10) The amount which plaintiff claims to be due him on each structure.
(11) The time of recording of a first mortgage, or a conveyance in the nature of a first mortgage, upon such structure which is granted to secure an existing indebtedness or future advances provided at least 50% of the loan proceeds are used for the payment of labor or materials, or both, for such structure.
(c) The complaint and/or statement of claim shall be supported by the affidavit of the plaintiff-claimant that the facts therein are true and correct.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Delaware Code Title 25. Property § 2712. Requirements of complaint or statement of claim - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/de/title-25-property/de-code-sect-25-2712/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.