Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) Every application for an operator's license shall be made on an application form furnished by the Department. The original application shall be verified by the applicant before a person authorized to administer oaths.
(b) Every application shall state the name, social security number, if eligible, date of birth, sex and residence address of the applicant and whether or not the applicant has previously been licensed as an operator, and, if so, when and by what state and whether or not such license has ever been suspended or revoked and, if so, the date of and reason for such suspension or revocation.
(c) Regardless of the age of the applicant, the Division shall require documentary evidence satisfactory to the Division of the applicant's name, date of birth, legal presence in the United States, Social Security number (if eligible), sex, and Delaware residence address.
(d) Any applicant who is able to provide satisfactory documentary evidence of all information described in subsection (c) of this section except for legal presence in the United States, may be eligible for a class D license or a class D temporary instruction permit valid for driving privileges only, hereinafter referred to as a driving privilege card or permit. Federal law prohibits any person from being eligible for a commercial driver license without providing satisfactory documentary evidence of legal presence in the United States.
(1) A driving privilege card or permit applicant must also provide the Division with satisfactory documentary evidence that the applicant, for each of the preceding 2 years, has:
a. Filed a Delaware income tax return; or
b. Resided in Delaware and been claimed as a dependent by an individual who has filed a Delaware income tax return.
(2) A driving privilege card or permit applicant must have completed the procedures required under § 8595 of Title 11.
(3) A driving privilege card or permit shall not be considered a valid form of identification for any purpose.
(4) Every applicant for or holder of a driving privilege card or permit under this section shall be subject to all of the provisions of this and any other title that apply to applicants and holders of class D driver licenses, class D temporary instruction permits, and level 1 learner permits.
(5) Notwithstanding any provision to the contrary, to ensure the public trust of the Delaware undocumented population that will utilize the driving privilege card for its intended purposes, all personal identifiable information collected during the application process shall be kept confidential, except in connection with purposes or procedures that would equally apply to applicants under subsection (c) of this section.
(e)(1) Any male applicant who applies for an instruction permit or driver's license or a renewal of any such permit or license and who is at least 18 years of age but less than 26 years of age shall be registered in compliance with the requirements of § 3 of the “Military Selective Service Act,” 50 U.S.C. App. § 453, as amended.
(2) The Department shall forward in an electronic format the necessary personal information of the applicants identified in this subsection to the selective service system. The applicant's signature on the application shall serve as an indication that the applicant either has already registered with the selective service system or that he is authorizing the Department to forward to the selective service system the necessary information for such registration. The Department shall notify the applicant at the time of application that his signature constitutes consent to registration with the selective service system, if he is not already registered.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Delaware Code Title 21. Motor Vehicles § 2711. Application for license - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/de/title-21-motor-vehicles/de-code-sect-21-2711/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.