Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) The owner of any vehicle described in subsection (b) of this section may apply to the Department for the assignment to that vehicle of a special disabled veteran number.
(b) This section applies only to:
(1) A private passenger vehicle; or
(2) A truck with a 3/4 -ton or smaller manufacturer's rated capacity.
(c) Special registration may be issued under this section only if:
(1) The applicant states that:
a. The applicant is a veteran with a disability of any war, the Korean conflict, the Viet Nam conflict, Operation Desert Storm or other military conflict on foreign soil in which United States armed forces were formally engaged in battle; or
b. It has been determined by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs that the applicant meets the qualifications of being a veteran with a service-connected disability; and
(2)a. The United States Department of Defense certifies that the applicant sustained a disabling injury in any war, the Korean conflict, the Viet Nam conflict, Operation Desert Storm or other military conflict on foreign soil in which United States armed forces were formally engaged in battle; or
b. The United States Department of Veterans Affairs certifies that the applicant meets the qualifications of being a veteran with a service-connected disability.
(3) Upon receipt by the Department of information that the individual to whom the special plate has been issued is deceased, the surviving spouse may transfer the plate to a vehicle owned by the spouse that meets the requirements of subsection (b) of this section as a valid registration plate. No fee in addition to the annual registration fee otherwise required by this title is required for registration.
(d)(1) Any applicant who applies for the assignment of a special plate under this section who also submits proof satisfactory to the Department that the applicant or a household member has a disability that would permit issuance of a special license plate under § 2134 of this title may be issued a special plate for veterans with disabilities that will be considered in all respects as a special license plate for persons with disabilities issued under § 2134 of this title.
(2) A special license plate issued pursuant to this subsection must, in addition to the special disabled veteran number, display the internationally recognized wheelchair symbol of access on the plate.
(3) The Department may adopt rules and regulations that are reasonable or necessary for the implementation of this subsection.
(e) No fee in addition to the annual registration fee required by this title is required for registration under this section; however, the original application under this section shall be subject to a $10 administrative fee.
(f) The Department shall reserve sufficient license plates including the letters “DAV” and numbered consecutively beginning with the numeral “1” as are required for this section.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Delaware Code Title 21. Motor Vehicles § 2138. Special license plates for veterans with disabilities - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/de/title-21-motor-vehicles/de-code-sect-21-2138/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.