Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) Every owner of a vehicle desiring registration shall make application to the Department for the registration thereof upon the appropriate form or forms furnished by the Department. Every such application shall bear the signature of the owner in a manner acceptable to the Department.
(b) The application shall contain:
(1) The name and address of the owner: When the owner is an individual, the address shall be the bona fide residence of the individual; when the owner is a partnership, association, trust or corporation, the address shall be that of the principal office thereof wherever located together with the address of the principal office within this State, if any;
(2) A description of the vehicle including, insofar as the following specified data may exist with respect to a given vehicle, the make, model, color, type of body, the serial number of the vehicle, or any number as may be assigned by the Department, and whether new or used and, if a new vehicle, the date of sale by the manufacturer or dealer to the person intending to operate said vehicle;
(3) Such further information as may reasonably be required by the Department to enable it to determine whether the vehicle is lawfully entitled to registration;
(4) The Department shall allow the registration of trailers for individuals who are not bona fide residents of Delaware if the individual provides documented proof of ownership of a residence in Delaware and signs a declaration indicating the trailer will remain in Delaware at all times.
(c) In the event that the vehicle for which registration is applied is a specially constructed, reconstructed or a foreign vehicle, such fact shall be stated in the application, and with reference to every foreign vehicle which has been registered theretofore outside of this State, the owner shall surrender to the Department all registration cards and certificates of title or other evidence of such foreign registration or ownership as may be in the owner's possession or under the owner's control, except where in the course of interstate operation of a vehicle registered in another state it is desirable to retain registration of the vehicle in such other state, such applicant need not surrender, but shall submit for inspection, evidences of such foreign registration or ownership, and the Department upon a proper showing may register the vehicle in this State, but shall not issue a certificate of title therefor.
(d)(1) The Department shall allow the registration of motor vehicles owned by individuals who are not bona fide residents of Delaware upon presentation of an affidavit by the applicant, on a form approved by the Department, swearing or affirming:
a. That the vehicle is principally garaged in Delaware;
b. That the applicant is the owner of at least 1 other vehicle which is registered and insured in the state of the applicant's domicile; and
c. To such other information not inconsistent with this subsection as may be deemed appropriate by the Department or the Insurance Commissioner.
(2) An affiant shall notify the Division of Motor Vehicles and the affiant's automobile insurance company of any changes in the above conditions within 30 calendar days from the date of change.
(3) The penalties prescribed by Chapter 24 of Title 18 shall apply to a violation of this subsection.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Delaware Code Title 21. Motor Vehicles § 2104. Application for registration - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/de/title-21-motor-vehicles/de-code-sect-21-2104/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.