Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) No person shall:
(1) Require, as a condition precedent, concurrent or subsequent to the loaning of money upon the security of any real or personal property or to the selling of any such property under contract or extension of credit or any renewal thereof, that the owner of the property to whom the money is to be loaned or the vendee of the property so being sold, shall place, continue or renew any policy of insurance covering or to cover such property or covering any liability related to such property or the use thereof or that the person to whom such money or credit is extended or whose obligation the creditor is to acquire or finance negotiate any policy or contract of insurance through a particular insurance agent, broker or in a particular insurer or group of insurers or agent or broker or group of agents or brokers, except that this provision shall not prevent the exercise by any such lender or vendor upon a reasonable basis of the right to approve or disapprove of the insurer and representative selected to underwrite the insurance. Such basis shall relate only to:
a. The adequacy and terms of the coverage with respect to the interest of the vendor or lender to be insured thereunder;
b. The financial standards to be met by the insurer; and
c. The ability of the insurer or representative to service the policy;
(2) Unreasonably disapprove the insurance policy provided by a borrower for the protection of the property securing the credit or lien;
(3) Require directly or indirectly that any borrower, mortgagor, purchaser, insurer, broker or agent pay a separate charge to substitute the insurance policy of one insurer for that of another; or
(4) Use or disclose information resulting from a requirement that a borrower, mortgagor or purchaser furnish insurance of any kind on real property being conveyed or used as collateral security to a loan, when such information is to the advantage of mortgagee, vendor or lender or is to the detriment of the borrower, mortgagor, purchaser, insurer or the agent or broker complying with such a requirement.
(b)(1) Paragraph (a)(3) of this section does not include the interest which may be charged on premium loans or premium advancements in accordance with the security instrument.
(2) For purpose of paragraph (a)(2) of this section, such disapproval shall be deemed unreasonable if it is not based solely on reasonable standards uniformly applied, relative to the extent of coverage required and the financial soundness and the services of an insurer. Such standards shall not discriminate against any particular type of insurer, nor shall such standards call for the disapproval of an insurance policy because such policy contains coverage in addition to that required.
(3) The Commissioner may investigate the affairs of any person to whom this subsection applies to determine whether such person has violated this subsection. If a violation of this subsection is found, the person in violation shall be subject to the same procedures and penalties as are applicable under other provisions of this chapter.
(4) For purposes of this section, “person” includes any individual, corporation, association, partnership or other legal entity.
(c) The Commissioner shall by regulation provide for the adequate disclosure of the prohibitions set forth in subsections (a) and (b) of this section and any other similar provisions of law.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Delaware Code Title 18. Insurance Code § 2305. Favored agent or insurer; coercion of debtors - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/de/title-18-insurance-code/de-code-sect-18-2305/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.