Skip to main content

Delaware Code Title 18. Insurance Code § 1926. Independently procured insurance

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a) Any person whose home state is this State may directly procure or directly renew insurance with a nonadmitted insurer, as defined in § 1904 of this title, without the involvement of a surplus lines licensee, on a risk located or to be performed, in whole or in part, in this State.

(b) Each insured whose home state is this State that independently procures or continues or renews insurance with a nonadmitted insurer on properties, risks, or exposures located or to be performed in whole or in part in this State, other than insurance procured through a surplus lines broker, is subject to the same tax reporting requirements under this chapter as apply to a surplus lines broker.

(c) On or before March 1 each year, the insured that independently procures insurance must file a written report with the Commissioner, upon forms prescribed by the Commissioner, showing the name and address of the insured or insureds, name and address of the insurer, the subject of the insurance, a general description of the coverage, the amount of premium currently charged, and additional pertinent information reasonably requested by the Commissioner.

(d) At the time of filing the report required in subsection (b) of this section, the insured shall pay to the State Treasurer through the Commissioner a tax at the same rate and in the same manner as surplus lines brokers, as required in § 1925(e) of this title.

Cite this article: - Delaware Code Title 18. Insurance Code § 1926. Independently procured insurance - last updated January 01, 2022 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard