Skip to main content

Delaware Code Title 16. Health and Safety § 5008. Probable cause complaint

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a) If an involuntary patient has not been discharged by the hospital by the end of the 48-hour provisional admission period, the hospital shall file a verified complaint for involuntary civil commitment in the Superior Court or in the Family Court if the involuntary patient would otherwise be amenable to Family Court jurisdiction under other provisions of law. The complaint shall set forth in detail facts to show that the hospital, as petitioner, reasonably and in good faith believes that the involuntary patient (who shall be named as respondent) is a person who meets the standard for involuntary inpatient commitment set forth in § 5011 of this title, and who should be continued as a patient at the hospital pursuant to this chapter until the patient is determined no longer to meet the criteria for involuntary inpatient hospitalization. The complaint shall also aver that the involuntary patient has been advised of the patient's rights under this chapter. Copies of the emergency detention certificate and the provisional admission certificate shall be attached to the complaint. A notarized affidavit indicating that a hospital official has reviewed each complaint shall be filed, with the original copy sent to the court to be maintained in the patient's file.

(b) The hospital's affidavit filed with the complaint shall indicate whether the involuntary patient is able to afford counsel and whether the patient requested an independent psychiatric witness.

Cite this article: - Delaware Code Title 16. Health and Safety § 5008. Probable cause complaint - last updated January 01, 2022 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard