Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) A person commits the offense of aggravated assault on a public vehicle inspection officer if that person assaults, impedes, intimidates, or interferes with a public vehicle inspection officer while that officer is engaged in or on account of the performance of his or her official duties, and:
(1) By any means, that person knowingly or purposely causes serious bodily injury to the public vehicle inspection officer; or
(2) Under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to human life, that person intentionally or knowingly engages in conduct which creates a grave risk of serious bodily injury to another person, and thereby causes serious bodily injury.
(b) A person who violates this section shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction, shall:
(1) Be fined not more than the amount set forth in § 22-3571.01, or be imprisoned for not more than 10 years, or both; and
(2) Have his or her license or licenses for operating a public vehicle-for-hire, as required by the Commission pursuant to subchapter I of Chapter 3 of Title 50, revoked without further administrative action by the Commission.
(c) It is neither justifiable nor excusable for a person to use force to resist the civil enforcement authority exercised by an individual believed to be a public vehicle inspection officer, whether or not such enforcement action is lawful.
(d) For the purposes of this section, the term:
(1) “Commission” shall have the same meaning as provided in § 50-303(6).
(2) “Public vehicle-for-hire” shall have the same meaning as provided in § 50-303(17).
(3) “Public vehicle inspection officer” shall have the same meaning as provided in § 50-303(19).
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - District of Columbia Code Division IV. Criminal Law and Procedure and Prisoners. § 22-404.03. Aggravated assault on a public vehicle inspection officer. - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/dc/division-iv-criminal-law-and-procedure-and-prisoners/dc-code-sect-22-404-03/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.