Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
For the purposes of this chapter, the term:
(1) “Cash medical support” means an amount ordered to be paid toward the cost of health insurance provided by a public entity or by another parent, through employment or otherwise, or for extraordinary medical expenses as defined in § 16-916(j)(1), or for other medical costs not covered by insurance.
(2) “Court” means the Superior Court of the District of Columbia.
(3) “Domestic partner” shall have the same meaning as provided in § 32-701(3).
(4) “Domestic partnership” shall have the same meaning as provided in § 32-701(4).
(5) “IV-D agency” means the organizational unit of the District government, or any successor organizational unit, that is responsible for administering or supervising the administration of the District's State Plan under title IV, part D, of the Social Security Act, approved January 4, 1975 (88 Stat. 2351; 42 U.S.C 42 U.S.C. § 651 et seq.), pertaining to parent locator services, paternity establishment, and the establishment, modification, and enforcement of support orders.
(6) “IV-D case” means a case in which the IV-D agency provides services for the purpose of establishing paternity or establishing, modifying, or enforcing a child support obligation.
(6A) “Gender identity or expression” shall have the same meaning as provided in § 2-1401.02(12A).
(7) “Health insurance coverage” means benefits consisting of amounts paid for the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease, or amounts paid for the purpose of affecting any structure or function of the body (provided directly, through insurance or reimbursement, or otherwise, and includes items and services) under any hospital or medical service policy or certificate, hospital, or medical service plan contract, or health maintenance organization contract offered by a health insurer that is available to either parent, under which medical services could be provided to a dependent child.
(8) “Support order” means a judgment, decree, or order, whether temporary, final, or subject to modification, issued by a court or an administrative agency of competent jurisdiction, for the support and maintenance of a child, including a child who has attained the age of majority under the law of the issuing state, or a child and the parent with whom the child is living, which provides for monetary support, health care, arrearages, or reimbursement and which may include related costs and fees, interest and penalties, income withholding, attorneys' fees, and other relief.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - District of Columbia Code Division II. Judiciary and Judicial Procedure § 16-901. Definitions. - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/dc/division-ii-judiciary-and-judicial-procedure/dc-code-sect-16-901/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.