Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
For the purposes of this subchapter, the term:
(1) “Africanized bee” means a hybrid variety of Apis mellifera produced by the cross-breeding of the aggressive African honey bee Apis mellifera scutellata with a European honey bee subspecies.
(2) “Apiary” means a place where a colony is kept.
(3) “Bee disease” means an abnormal condition resulting from action by a parasite, predator, or infectious agent.
(4) “Brood” means the embryo and egg, larva, and pupa stages of a bee.
(5) “Colony” means a hive and its equipment and appurtenances, including bees, brood, comb, pollen, and honey.
(6) “Comb” means the assemblage of cells containing a living stage of a bee at a time prior to emergence as an adult.
(7) “Department” means the District Department of the Environment.
(7A) “Director” means the Director of the District Department of the Environment.
(8) “Hive” means a container used for the housing of a colony.
(9) “Honey bee” means Apis mellifera or another species designated as suitable for an urban environment by the Director.
(10) “Multi-unit building” means a building with at least 4 separate housing units.
(11) “Person” means an individual, partnership, corporation, trust, association, firm, joint stock company, organization, commission, or any other legal entity.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - District of Columbia Code Division I. Government of District. § 8-1825.02. Definitions. - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/dc/division-i-government-of-district/dc-code-sect-8-1825-02/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.