Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
For the purposes of this chapter, the term:
(1) “Compostable” means:
(A) Made solely of materials that break down into, or otherwise become part of, usable compost in a safe and timely manner in an appropriate program; and
(B) Once the Mayor has published the list of compostable materials described in § 8-1031.03(b), identified on that list;
(1A) “Disposable food service ware” means containers, bowls, plates, trays, cartons, cups, lids, straws, forks, spoons, knives, napkins, and other items that are designed for one-time use for beverages, prepared food, or leftovers from meals prepared by a food service entity. The term “disposable food service ware” shall not include items composed entirely of aluminum.
(2) “Expanded polystyrene” means blown polystyrene and expanded and extruded foams that are thermoplastic petrochemical materials utilizing a styrene monomer and processed by a number of techniques, including fusion of polymer spheres (expandable bead polystyrene), injection molding, foam molding, and extrusion-blow molding (extruded foam polystyrene).
(2A) “Expanded polystyrene container” means a container, such as a cooler or ice chest, made of expanded polystyrene that is not wholly encapsulated or encased within a more durable material.
(3) “Expanded polystyrene food service products” means food containers, plates, hot and cold beverage cups, meat and vegetable trays, egg cartons, and other products made of expanded polystyrene and used for selling or providing food.
(3A) “Expanded polystyrene packing material” means material, such as packing peanuts, made of expanded polystyrene used to hold, cushion, or protect items packed in a container for shipping, transport, or storage.
(4) ““Food service entity”” means full-service restaurants, limited-service restaurants, fast food restaurants, cafes, delicatessens, coffee shops, supermarkets, grocery stores, vending trucks or carts, food trucks, cafeterias, including those operated by or on behalf of District departments and agencies, and other entities selling or providing food within the District for consumption on or off the premises.
(5) “Recyclable” means made solely of materials that can be recycled using the District's recycling collection program and identified on the list of recyclable materials described in § 8-1031.03(b).
(6) “Retailer” means a person engaged in retail sales in the District.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - District of Columbia Code Division I. Government of District. § 8-1531. Definitions. - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/dc/division-i-government-of-district/dc-code-sect-8-1531/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.