Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
For the purposes of this subchapter, the term:
(1) “Carrier” means the person who owns the locomotive or motor vehicle, excluding the trailer or rail car, used in transporting any of the hazardous materials identified in § 8-1442.
(2) “Fund” means the Hazardous Materials Reimbursement Fund established by § 8-1447.
(3) “Motor vehicle” means any vehicle propelled by internal-combustion engine, electricity, or steam, other than a vehicle designed to run only on rails or tracks, that is intended or used for moving freight, merchandise, or other commercial loads or property. The term “motor vehicle” shall include any trailer attached to the motor vehicle.
(4) “Person” shall have the same meaning as in § 8-1302(5).
(5) “Rail car” means any vehicle without motor power that is intended or used for moving freight, merchandise, or other commercial loads or property on rails or tracks and is drawn by a locomotive.
(6) “Trailer” means a vehicle without motor power intended or used for carrying freight, merchandise, or other commercial loads or property and drawn or intended to be drawn by a motor vehicle, whether such vehicle without motor power carries the weight of the property wholly on its own structure or whether a part of such weight rests upon or is carried by a motor vehicle.
(7) “Transport” means movement by a rail car or motor vehicle.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - District of Columbia Code Division I. Government of District. § 8-1441. Definitions. - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/dc/division-i-government-of-district/dc-code-sect-8-1441/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.