Skip to main content

District of Columbia Code Division I. Government of District. § 7-2331. Findings.

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a) The terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001 in New York, Virginia, and Pennsylvania, resulting in grievous loss of life and the concomitant disruption of our national regional services, highlight the need for, and value of, intergovernmental planning and programming at the state level, including the District of Columbia.

(b) Mutual assistance between the states entering into this compact and the District of Columbia is also needed for the management of any emergency or disaster that is duly declared by the governor of a state, or the Mayor of the District of Columbia, whether arising from natural disaster, technological hazard, man-made disaster, civil emergency aspects of resources shortages, community disorders, insurgency, or enemy attack.

(c) There is also a need for mutual assistance between the states and the District of Columbia fostering cooperation in emergency-related exercises, testing, or other training activities using equipment and personnel simulating performance of any aspect of the giving and receiving of aid by party states or subdivisions thereof during emergencies, such actions occurring outside actual declared emergency periods.

(d) The United States Congress issued the Emergency Management Assistance Compact (EMAC) Joint Resolution (Pub. L. No. 104-321) on October 19, 1996, authorizing states, including the District of Columbia, to join in the EMAC.

Cite this article: - District of Columbia Code Division I. Government of District. § 7-2331. Findings. - last updated January 01, 2020 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard